Kringle – Norwegian Wreath
- 100g butter
- 325 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- Approx 650g plain flour (nb, not bread flour)
- 100g sugar
- whisked egg for glazing and demarara or other crunchy sugar
- or try with icing sugar mixed with lemon juice
- think it might also work icing sugar mixed with milk
- Filling ingredients such as raspberry jam, cinnamon & orange zest; blackberries; butter, sugar & cinnamon; raisins, butter and brown sugar; chocolate ganache – or anything else you think sounds nice!
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add milk and heat up to 37 C (approx – blood heat). In a baking bowl, mix flour, sugar and yeast. Make a hold in the middle and add the liquid. Knead the dough for 5 mins at low to medium speed in a mixer or 10 mins if doing it by hand. Cover with clingfilm or put a cloth across the top of the bowl and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
Pull dough out to a rectangle of approx 50×25 cm. Don’t kneed it at this point – treat it like pizza dough and just pull it gently into the shape. Spread the filling evenly across the dough, and start rolling from the long side, like a swiss roll. Wet the loose edge a little to seal it.
Lift the roll onto greased baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut the roll down the middle lengthwise leaving about 2cm at one end so it keeps together at the end. Starting at this end, twist the sections together and then shape into a wreath. Make sure the ends are tucked in nicely to keep together (it can help to wet the joining bits).
Leave for a second proving of about 40 mins. Heat the oven to 200 C. Brush carefully with whisked egg and sprinkle pearl sugar on top. Bake for about 20 mins on the middle shelf. Cool on a wire rack.
You can also use the recipe to make buns – instead of cutting in half, cut 4cm pieces and set on a baking tray. Reduce baking time to 12-15 mins and set temperature a little lower. Or try making two smaller wreaths.
Smaller recipe – for approx 10 rolls:
- 65g butter
- 220ml milk
- 2 tsp yeast
- 440g plain flour
- 65g sugar
- Bake at 190 for 10-12 mins