Salad with Roasted Vegetables
This was an on-the-spot invention, but worked so well that it is worth repeating.
- Roasted squash (last night’s leftovers, or roasted specially, then cooled, an nice rich type of squash is best)
- Roasted beetroot (not too much of this)
- Orange – in segments then halved
- A dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, mustard and honey
- Other possible additions: toasted pumpkin seeds, fresh thyme, maybe capers for some punch. I used a bit of cucumber but only because it needed using up; it was fine, but not essential. Could try some other roasted vegetables – maybe celeriac or carrot, but not parsnip…
I cut the squash in to rough 1cm cubes and cut up the beetroot into smaller pea-sized cubes. Because the beetroot is roasted rather than boiled it doesn’t leak colour so much but is really pretty. Try to deal with the orange segments so there isn’t too much skin on them. Everything else just cut as you please.