Enough for 3-4 mugs
- Half a stick of cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 3-4 large bits star anise
- some crumbs of nutmeg (the bits left over from when you’ve been grating it)
- A few slices of fresh ginger
- Two mugs of red wine
- One mug of apple juice or the juice of three apples
- An orange, cut into pretty chunks
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Small handful of raisins
Put the spices in mug full of water and simmer gently with a lid on the pan for half an hour or so. Then add everything else and mull gently for about ten mins. It’s OK for it to simmer as long as you have the lid on – alcohol will evaporate but then go back in the pan – but don’t let it really boil. Ideally then strain it and add back in the the raisins and orange bits and serve with a spoon to eat them.
I’ve written this from memory after a successful batch. Check the amounts of sugar & honey and adjust if necessary.