Sweet pastry for pies
This should make enough for one pie in a 23cm round tin
- 150g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter cold from the fridge
- 50g (4 tablespoons) icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon of cold water
- Put 150g plain flour and 75g unsalted butter in a bowl, cut the butter into small bits with a knife so the bits get coated in flour and rub gently together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Lift the mixture into the air while you are doing it to keep it cool.
- Mix in 50g icing sugar followed by the egg-water mixture. If the pastry still feels too dry to form a dough, add a little more water. Shape the dough into a ball, flatten it out into a disc, wrap it in cling film, then chill for at least 30 mins before using in your recipes.