- 100g abernathy biscuits (if you can find them! I found them in Waitrose. If not digestives are fine, just don’t add sugar)
- 40g butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 250g cream cheese – I used marscapone
- 280ml double cream
- 100g caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp lemon curd (optional)
- Line the base of an 18cm round loose bottomed tin.
- Melt the butter, crush up the biscuits, and combine with 2tbsp of sugar. Pour into the prepared tin and use a potato masher to push it flat. Put in the fridge to chill while you prepare the topping.
- Grate and zest the lemons.
- Whip the double cream until it forms a soft peak. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the lemon juice slowly to taste. The original recipe only used 5tsp but I found this to be far too little – I ended up basically adding as I went along until it tasted good. Stir in lemon curd if using, and whisk together until thick and combined.
- Add the lemon mixture to the tin, a little at a time and pushing down with the back of a spoon so there are no gaps. Smooth the top with a palette knife.
- Put into the fridge for at least 2 hours to set fully.
- I also decorated the top with lemon curd piping – but of course this is optional. Maybe a little bit of lemon zest on the top would be nice too!